Monday, June 21, 2010

$5 Wrap Skirt

For those that don't know, I'm a teacher. I love my job; it's not just what I do, it's who I am. And yes, I'm that quirky English teacher you remember from high school... the one with the really awesome handmade earrings that was a little too into the readings for your taste. But I digress. The last thing that I'm required to do at the end of my school year is attend graduation. I needed something cute to wear to graduation and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it (I'm in the midst of some lightening of the ole load, if you know what I mean, and didn't want to spend a lot on something that will be too big in a few weeks). Decided to make a wrap skirt based on a pattern in my head.



I went to Wal Mart to get some cheap fabric, and ended up finding a print that I fell in love with. It's loud and obnoxious (just like me!). It was also heavy enough that I wouldn't need to line the fabric. So I bought about a yard and a half and headed home.



I cut a narrow strip from the edge to use to fasten the skirt, but other than that, I didn't really cut much besides the hem. I hemmed all the scraggly edges, then created a fabric tie. I sewed one tie to each end, wrapped the finished product around my waist, and in less than an hour had a really neat new skirt. This was seriously the easiest sewing I've ever done. I got a TON of compliments on it, too; to be fair, I'm not sure if that was about the wrap skirt itself or just the pattern of the fabric. Comments and suggestions are always welcome, as I seem to be relearning how to sew on an 'antique' Singer.


Cost breakdown: $4.49 for the fabric

1 comment:

  1. I seriously LOVE the wrap skirt, I may have to see if you'll make one for me!! And I don't think the pattern is loud of obnoxious, though it does scream your name! LOL! Love you cousin!!

    (now go follow my blogs or I'll be sad)

    ReplyDelete