Friday, June 25, 2010

The (Free) Wonder of YouTube!

The most frequent question I am asked about my craftiness is, undoubtedly, the question about who taught me/how I learned something. While I did learn quite a few techniques from the amazing women in my family (thanks, Mom, Nimfa, Grandmama, Mamaw, and Grandma!) and some friends (notably my Connecticut bestie Kseniya, who patiently taught me the basics of knitting), I tend to get wild hairs to try things I've never tried before. And when that happens, I consult books. Sometimes, those books are able to coach me along and I can learn to do something quite well just with reading (like the soap). Other times, books made me scratch my head, try, mess up, try again, mess up again, ad nauseum, until I throw the book across the room in a fit of frustration. At those times, I turn to youtube. I had NO idea about this, but you can find a tutorial about anything possible on youtube. What did I do when my Acer lappy had the dreaded 'black screen' and my super nerdy tech guy computer-savvy husband didn't know how to fix it? I found a tute on youtube, and fixed it myself. I wanted to knit socks, but the thought of knitting on four double pointed needles made my head hurt. Again, youtube to the rescue. And lastly, I had a lot of makeup that I really liked but never wore. I didn't want to throw it away, but desperately needed a new look. Go go gadget youtube. I found a tutorial to do some looks that are not only extremely flattering, they didn't cost me hardly anything because I already had the makeup. So the moral of today's blog? Buying stuff is for the birds. Learn to make it yourself for cheap or cheap as free. Consult books and youtube. Check out www.craftster.org for a TON of free tutorials ranging across the DIY spectrum. Why buy when you can make?

Cost breakdown for socks: $1 for the yarn, $3.99 for the needles (which I will reuse)
Cost breakdown for Acer: Zero, zip, zilch. SO MUCH CHEAPER than paying someone to fix it.
Cost breakdown for makeup: Actually, I had to buy a set of brushes for $9.99. Still cheaper than buying a whole new makeup bag worth of stuff.

All in all, doing things yourself saves not just an arm and a leg, but also a foot, a hand, a torso, another arm.... seriously, you can save SO MUCH money doing things on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment